Those responsible for your injuries or death arising out of motor vehicle accidents may include the other driver, and possibly their employer, the owner of the other vehicle and more. Insurance companies for the other driver often contact you immediately and attempt to take your statement before you fully understand what's happened; even while you're still injured.
Below are steps you may wish to follow to protect yourself or your loved ones:
- Immediately obtain the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, and insurance information. Use your cell phone to photograph this information.
- Do not give a statement to the other person’s insurance company until you know exactly what happened and have fully recovered.
- Comply with all of your doctor’s instructions.
- Take photographs of all injuries and vehicles involved in the accident.
- Collect the names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses.
- Hire a personal injury attorney who has actual trial experience.
Motorcyclists are often hit by drivers who say they never saw the motorcycle before the collision. The reason? Motorcycles have a smaller profile than most cars. Often, drivers don’t "see" motorcycles because drivers aren’t looking for them!
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
*These words of experience are not intended as legal advice or as a substitute for retaining an attorney.